Jesse and I agreed that these are one of our favorite muffin recipes that’s ever come out of our kitchen.
I picked up some rhubarb at the farmer’s market last weekend (it’s currently in season!) and wanted to try using it in something other than a crisp - though I have enough left over to make that sometime soon too ;)
These muffins are chunky and chewy, soft and sweet. Delicious.
Rhubarb Walnut Muffins
makes 10 standard-sized muffins
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup organic white or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 organic egg (a flax and chia egg works just as well too)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced into small chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F and add 10 muffin liners to your muffin pan. (I love these)
2. In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients, flour through milk, and stir until combined. Then fold in the rhubarb and walnuts.
3. Scoop the mixture into your muffin liners.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops just start to brown and a toothpick comes out of the center of a muffin clean.