I started off my Sunday morning by sitting down, in my quiet peaceful home, to read my Bible Study for the day.
The reading started off with a story about two children who were murdered by their teenage babysitter….
With all that’s happened in our country (and world) the past few days, you can surely imagine that this made me sick to my stomach.
I kept on reading…and went on to read the study for the next day too…
The whole topic of it all was revenge and how to ‘deal’ with murderers and evildoers.
Dark. Eery. Impeccably timed.
The tragedy in the elementary school in Connecticut, where so much innocence was unjustly snatched away, the shooting last night at Fashion Island (thank God no one was hurt), it’s all so devastating and unbelievable.
Here are the highlights from what I read this morning — it left me feeling God’s peace when before all I felt was fear:
- We are told a number of times that we are not to take vengeance on another, nor are we to return evil with evil.
- God tells us instead to love our enemies, to do good to those who despitefully use us, and to turn the other cheek.
- Never pay back evil with evil.
- Never take your own revenge.
- for God has written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.”
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. –Romans 12:21