check out my guest on Ashley’s blog today!
“It’s Not Supposed to be Easy”
2012 was my second year of making New Year’s Resolutions.
In 2011, I set the goals to 1) work out at least 3 times a week and 2) incorporate more fruits and veggies into my everyday diet (during Lent I specified to 3 veggie and 2 fruit servings per day). This was when my “health journey” began–I’ll never look back.
In 2012, I set goals as well, which I shared with you.
In August, I wrote a post about checking in on those goals to see where I was at.
And finally, today I’d like to take one last look at the goals I set for myself in 2012 and see how I did.
- No more gum. I maybe had one pack total throughout the year, so I definitely did well with this goal…my teeth appreciate it!
- Continue to eat healthy, wholesome foods. On a regular basis, I’m very proud of how I eat. I eat mostly fruits, veggies, and whole-grains, and the majority of that food is organic. I continue to try new-to-me healthy foods, and do my best to get a good variety in my diet, which is (in my opinion) the key to continuously eating healthy–don’t let it get boring!
- Give to the church weekly. So this one I have mixed feelings about…I set this as a goal, but it’s not necessarily something I strive for anymore because my preference has become donating to charities or specific groups rather than just to the church. The church J and I now attend has many ministries and supports many charities/groups that work to better this world. I love giving (anonymously) and supporting those organizations. New goal I added mid-year: Join a small-group bible study. This happened, as you know, and I’m really thankful I did. Though I don’t absolutely love the study guide/book we’re using, I really enjoy getting together with some amazing women to discuss what God’s Word has to teach us about our everyday lives.
- Run a half-marathon! When I originally posted this goal, I wrote this, which now makes me smile: “Did I really just type that? I’m crazy and I don’t even know if I love running, but I know how amazing I feel after I’ve run a long distance, and I know that with some hard work I can accomplish this goal.” :) Well, I did it!! TWICE. And set a PR the second time…Honestly, this was the greatest goal I accomplished this year. I think I could write an entire book on the things running has taught me and still continues to teach me on every. single. run. Yes, I’m very proud of myself for this.
- Consume less sugar. This is the one that makes me cringe a little…I did really well with this for the first half of the year, especially around the time of our wedding, then struggled a bit, did well again while training for my 2nd half, struggled over the holidays, and now I’m back to actually seeing treats as treats, rather than an every day necessity. This is the toughest for me!! But I’m continuing to work on it, and I’m sure this topic will be included in my goals for 2013 as well.
- Enjoy the next crazy 5 months. If you’re new around here (hi! and thanks for being here :), you can find out what I mean here. Yes, I enjoyed every last bit of that crazy, crazy time in my life.
- This year’s motto: Be Present. Oh, I think I’ll be reminding myself of this one for the rest of my life. I will say though, that the more and more I work on building my faith and relationship with God, the easier this gets.
Did you set goals/resolutions for 2012? If so, how did they go?
Are you setting any goals for 2013?