Sometimes, it’s just good to try something new.
Eggplant is the 2nd new-to-me (fruit or) veggie I’ve bought and eaten so far this year. And I know I’ll be experimenting with this one again. The look and feel of it had me a little weirded out at first, but that just goes to show it’s not worth judging something by it’s appearance!
with marinara dipping sauce
makes 2-3 servings
- 1 medium (or 1/2 of a large) Eggplant
- 2-3 egg whites (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs*
- oregano and black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover a large baking sheet with tin foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- After washing your eggplant, slice it into fry-like shapes.
- Pour the egg whites into one small bowl, and place your breadcrumbs in another small bowl. Create an assembly line from the cutting board to the pan.
- Dip each fry into the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs, then place onto the baking sheet.
- If desired, sprinkle the fries with black pepper and oregano.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on how crispy you’d like them to be).
- Enjoy with a bowl of marinara sauce for dipping!
*You can replace the whole-wheat breadcrumbs with any breadcrumbs of your choice, OR you can use part almond meal/flour, part breadcrumbs, which is what I did (3/4 cup panko breadbrumbs + 3/4 cup almond meal).